I’m Back! I know it’s been awhile since I’ve posted a new recipe, but I’m back and ready to get you cooking just in time for the holidays!
I’ve been working with this recipe for the last few weeks and it has become a “go to” meal that the whole family loves! You can make these meatballs on the stovetop or in the slow cooker. If you do it on the stove, you can have them ready in half an hour. Or, you can get them ready early in the day and let the slow cooker work it’s magic and you will have meatballs aplenty by dinner.
This makes a lot of meatballs, but don’t be surprised if you only have a couple for leftovers…they are yummy!
Two HUGE meatballs served over roasted spagetti squash!
For The Meatballs:
1/2 onion, finely diced and separated in half
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. dried basil or Italian seasoning
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground turkey or chicken
1 pound ground pork
1 pound all natural sausage (mild or hot, it’s up to you)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, keeping 1/2 of the chopped onion set aside.
2. Using your hands, mix and knead until thoroughly combined and everything is evenly distributed. Set aside.
3. Make the sauce
For The Sauce:
2 tsp bacon fat or olive oil
1 – 7oz. can tomato paste
1 – 14oz. can diced tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/4 diced onion (from the meatballs)
2 tsp. dried Italian Seasoning
1 cup beef or chicken broth
salt and pepper
1. In a large dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm the bacon fat or olive oil until melted and shimmery, but not smoking.
2. Place the reserved onion and garlic into the pan and stir. If the garlic starts to stick, turn the heat down a little. Continue to cook until onion is slightly browned.
3. Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Stir until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper and let simmer until some of the liquid has reduced. Stir frequently.
4. Add the broth and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. For a little extra kick, add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. of red pepper flakes.
1. Using your hands or a scoop, roll the meat into balls of whatever size you would like. (If I’m in a hurry, I’ll make them bigger, but the kids like smaller as they can eat them whole.) Place each ball directly into the sauce, packing them in closely. You can stack them too as they will reduce in size as they cook. If it looks like there is not enough liquid, add more broth 1/4 cup at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
2. Cover and cook on medium-high heat for 15-30 minutes depending on the size of the meatball.
3. Taste and season
4. Serve with your favorite vegetable or over a bed of spagetti squash.
SLOW COOKER METHOD
1. Prepare meat as above
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, make the sauce as directed.
3. Place meatballs in the bottom of slow cooker insert
4. Pour the sauce over the top of the meatballs.
5. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours.